Saturday, August 10, 2013

Official

This past Thursday I officially became a Peace Corps volunteer! After two months of training we had our swear-in ceremony where the Country Director, the Togo Ambassador, current volunteers, and our host families welcomed us as PCVs.
At the ceremony I gave a brief speech in the language Anufo and had the chance to catch up with my family from Tsevie and my sister from Kpalime. Afterwards we celebrated until late in the night and I can't express how great it felt. To finally get to this point feels wonderful, exciting, and unbelievably scary.
So now I am in Kpalime for two more weeks of teaching before I head to my new home for two years. The good news is that everything that seemed foreign is now making sense, like how to get a moto ride or shop at the marche or get clothes made. I forget what life is like without bucket baths and fufu. I guess I'm almost integrated. The only bad news is that my French is still struggling. I'm optimistic though and I think if I at least have a good attitude it'll come along eventually, right?
While I'm going to miss my fellow PCVs so much I am super pumped to get to post. I can't wait to get started on projects and begin working in the school.
Until then I am slowly trying to gather things for post. Today I'm going to buy a gas stove and maybe some other household wares. What I'd give for a Target!

No comments:

Post a Comment